Cough and cold is common, particularly in this rainy season. Throughout the year every individual experiences cough and cold at least once. It is body’s natural defense mechanism to excrete infection and toxins with mucus. Cough and cold is seen as a symptom but
Causes like viral illness, infection, chronic lung disease are behind cough and cold. One needs to get rid of the infection to deal with cough and cold. Although the symptoms persists for a weeks’ time. Antibiotics will not help in dealing with cough and cold. There are other symptoms such as sore throat, ear pain, sinuses etc which needs medical attention. Home remedies for cough and cold will help in controlling them.
Home remedy for cough and cold:
- The primary home remedy for cough and cold with sore throat is to gargle with warm water. Gargling for couple times in day will help in getting rid of the infection and clear the throat. Add turmeric and pinch of salt.
- Use of ginger and pepper is advisable in clod. These two herbs are hot in potency. They help in clod related to winter or rainy season. One can use ginger and pepper in tea and soups. It gives relief and southing effect.
- Drinking lot of water has many health benefits. Drink lot of water when you have cold. It helps in excreting mucus.
- Take steam and relax on the day of cold. They say taking rest is important in dealing with cough and cold. Steam relaxes sinuses and thus helps in excreting mucus.
- Vitamin C helps in improving body’s defense mechanism. Vitamin c rich foods such as lemon, orange, sweet lime etc must be included in diet. It is myth that sour fruits increase cough. Their vital nutrients content fight against infection and improves body’s defense mechanism.
- Take ¼ tsp pepper, ¼ ginger powder, 1 tsp honey, 1 tsp vinegar and 2 tsp water. Mix all the ingredients together. Take this mixture throughout the day for 2-3 times. It helps in handling dry cough.
- Garlic is well known for disease fighting ability. One can prepare garlic tea. Take 2 to 3 garlic cloves; boil it with 2 cups water for 15 mins. Strain the mixture and add honey and pepper powder for taste. Rink this tea couple of times in day.
- Well known remedy for cold is chicken soup. Studies suggest it has some anti-inflammatory effect which helps in colds.
Apply these home remedies to get relief from cough and cold. If cough persists for more than three weeks it needs medical attention. Mucus secretion with greenish color should also be handled carefully.
Note: These home remedies are for information purpose. One cannot substitute medical treatment with the remedy. Consult your doctor before consuming them.