- 250 grams Karela (bitter gourd)
- 1 sliced onion (medium sized)
- 2-3 green chilies (according to taste, can be avoided if you don’t like spicy preparation)
- 1 tsp saunf (fennel powder)
- ½ tsp haldi powder (turmeric)
- 1 small green mango- chopped into small pieces after removing the skin
- ¼ tsp red chilli powder (optional)
- 1 tbsp mustard oil or any healthy vegetable oil
- Salt to taste
- Wash karelas thoroughly, remove the end portions.
- Cut lengthwise, remove the seeds and slice into small pieces.
- Heat 1 glass water add ½ tsp salt and put the karela slices into hot water. Leave to simmer after covering with the lid for few minutes, when only partially cooked, strain the hot water and wash karela in cold water.
- Heat oil in a pan, add cumin seeds. When seeds are ready add karela pieces, salt and turmeric powder, mix well on medium heat till karela pieces are crisp.
- Add rest of the ingredients – green chillies, onion, mango, red chilli powder, saunf and mix well till all is crisp and ready.
- Serve hot with roti and dal.