Many people, particularly women, complain that they often feel heavy and bloated. In some people, these are some well recognized cause like thyroid malfunction and in many cases, it becomes a source of endless discomfort since the medical reports are usually fine. Water retention is a condition when due to various reason, the body holds water. In medical terms, only when the body holds more that 2 liters of excess water does it became visible. Water retention can be the result of kidney problems, hormonal imbalance, liver problem, hypothyroidism, infection, pathological blockage in the veins of the lower limbs etc.
What are the basic causes of water retention:
- Premenstrual Syndrome: A week before the menstrual cycle starts, many women retain water. Sometimes the problem is so acute, it can play havoc with a person’s day to day activities.
- Menopause: The phases of 3 to 5 years when the cycle stops is the time when women experiences water retention.
- Medicines: Some medicines chiefly steroids and hormonal tablets, antibiotics and pain killers may cause bloating.
- Foods: Sour foods like pickles,tomato vinegar, tamarind, alcohol like whisky,baccardi, vodka, fizzy drinks, heavy and salted soups, salted and fried foods typically fast food could also lead to water retention.
If the problem is acute, get a general check ups done in consultation with your family physician to rule out any pathological condition and get a dietary changes by the dietitian if needed.
Dietary changes for water retention:
- First and foremost,eat meals between 6 am and 7 pm and do not have anything except a glass of skimmed milk at night.
- Potassium is very essential nutrient to maintain fluid and electrolyte balance in the body, so to combat water retention one can have potassium rich foods. Although many food contain potassium but fruits are the excellent source of this mineral. Fruits which contain high potassium are like banana, citrus fruits, grapes, kiwi, papaya, peaches and water melon.
- Have lots of water, soy milk, jasmine tea to let go of water retention normally.
- Eat apples as they are natural diuretics, specially at night.
- Avoid foods like corn,rice, maida.
Any question to ask? Ask in our Health Forum for Free for Expert opinion!