All your weight loss resolutions may go haywire in winter as our appetite shoots up during this season! As the outside temperature falls, our body temperature also starts falling. To keep body temperature in normal zone, body produces heat by burning more calories. Thus we tend to eat more, more frequently to match this calorie deficit.
After knowing this, you will realize- if right food is chosen when you are hungry, winter is the best season to say goodbye to the extra pounds! Also, winter brings a pleasant atmosphere- ideal for exercising!
If the following tips are utilized, weight loss can become an enjoyable journey in winter.
- Take an evening walk: For some people it is hard even to think about a morning walk in chilling winter. Never mind. Going for an evening walk is equally beneficial.
- Fill up on hot liquids like soups, green tea: Hot but low calorie drinks like vegetable clear soups, green tea can be taken during winter season to quench your hunger. Avoid creamy soups & sugar in green tea.
- Have plenty of seasonal fruits & vegetables: You can start your meals with freshly chopped fruit salads. Fruits like apples, oranges, sweet limes, guava, strawberries, pineapple, amla etc & vegetables like carrots, cauliflower, green peas etc. are speciality of winter season.
- Join a gym / Play indoor sports: If you dislike walking/ exercising outdoors in cold weather, then the best way is to join a gym or purchase some gym equipments at home. You can enjoy indoor activities like badminton, table tennis, gymnastics, skipping, skating, stationary bicycling etc. Make sure you get involved in any aerobic or weight bearing activity for at least 40 minutes a day.
- Don’t oversleep: In winter the nights are longer, & one can easily get tempted to sleep more. 7-8 hours of sleep every day is quite sufficient. Spend some time in shaping up your garden, cleaning house or with your family. Some activity instead of oversleeping will show benefits in long run.
- Never ever go to a party empty stomach: Winter is a season of celebrations & parties with a Christmas & New Year being the highlights. Avoid excessive alcohol & always remember to have home made, healthy & high fiber food before attending parties. You will avoid gaining many calories by doing so.