Now-a-days may it be in the health articles, newspapers, health related blogs you keep on reading the term High fibre foods and its benefits. But do we exactly know what all foods are included in this High Fibre Food list? What is fibre? Or how does it help us?
What is Fibre?
Fibre is one of the most important components of your healthy diet. These fibres skip digestion. They are calorie free but also show wonders on your health if included in diet regularly. Including around 25-30gms of fibre daily is helpful.
There are two types of fibre:
- Soluble Fibre: Soluble fibres are indigestible but are soluble in water. It forms a “gel” like substance. The digestive juices and fibre together form this gel. It protects from absorption of harmful products. Foods like oats, fruits, bran, etc are included in soluble fibre.
- Insoluble Fibre: Insoluble fibres are indigestible and also insoluble in water. It holds the water. Insoluble Fibre swells at gives a feeling of fullness. It helps in getting rid of the toxins. Foods like whole grains, legumes, seeds of fruit, etc. are examples of insoluble fibres.
Functions of Fibre:
The main function of fibre is to keep your digestive system healthy. Besides this, fibre has got many healthy benefits like:
- Relieves Constipation
- Increases the water holding capacity
- Gives early Satiety, thus avoid craving on unhealthy foods.
- Fiber plays an important role in maintaining normal blood glucose levels.
- Fibre binds with the cholesterol and excretes it out of the body.
- Excretes the toxins from the gut.
- Diet rich in fibre is low in calories, thus is helpful in weight loss.
High Fibre Foods:
After knowing the benefits of high fibre, let’s take a look on what all foods are included in the list:
- All whole grains like wheat, bajra, jowar, etc
- Brown Rice
- Wheat pasta
- Legumes and Pulses
- Fruits (preferably with skin)
- Veggies (preferably with skin)
- Nuts and seeds
- Dry fruit
Try including all these foods on your menu to get its maximum benefits.
All the Best!